Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Rhubarb Raspberry Crumble

You read that correctly. I had actually higher hopes set on making this: rhubarb raspberry crostata. However, the CSA share did not yield enough rhubarb. No big deal, I thought. So I stopped by the grocery store. And then another one. And then I called 5 more stores. NO ONE had rhubarb. So, I was out of luck! Argh!

What could you possibly make with a single portion size amount of rhubarb and a 6 oz box of raspberries? Well, if you're like me, you can wing it.

Raspberry Rhubarb Crumble

serves 2
375 degrees, 25 minutes

For Filling (divided into two oven safe dishes)
6 oz raspberries
1 cup rhubarb chopped into 1 inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch

For Crumble (again, divide over oven safe dishes)

  • tablespoons brown sugar
  • tablespoons quick-cooking oats
  • tablespoon flour
  • tablespoon butter

  • Directions

    1) Put berries, rhubarb in dishes. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch on each.
    2) Mix Crumble ingredients until -you guessed it - crumbly. Top berries, trying to cover evenly.
    3) Bake for 25 minutes at 375 degrees.


    Now, the truth of the matter is this: the fruit filling was a bit tart. Next time, I would probably add a tablespoon of sugar to each bowl. Or, maybe I'd cook the filling up first more like a pie filling. That way you could taste it before you baked it. But the crumble was first-rate. And the whole thing was still palatable. It might not have been the Bon Apetit Crostata, but it did use my rhubarb in a delectable way. 


    I'm also realizing just how many bowls I have with handles. Wow.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment