Saturday, June 9, 2012

Day 2 - Me Hungry!

No picture. No time. Toooo hungry!

For Day 2 of the CSA challenge, I whipped up veggie burritos. We probably have these once a week. And it's spectacular. Every time. These ingredients = magic together.

Black Bean Fajitas

2 Bell Peppers
2 small or 1 large onion
2 cloves Garlic
Crushed Chili Pepper
Adobo Spice
Paprika
Cumin
Salt/Pepper (if you want)
1 can refried black beans

Basically, I put a dab of oil and the garlic in a large saucepan and turn the heat up to Medium/Medium Low to let the garlic loosen up for about a minute. Then I add the peppers and onions. I give them a minute to warm up before I add the seasonings. I do about 10-15 shakes of each.

Let me stop you right there. I know "shakes" are not a unit of measurement. But I simply do not measure. I try to give every vegetable a light coating of every spice. It's not scientific. You can always add more later but in my personal opinion its difficult to over-spice fajitas. So find that latin station on your radio and shake, shake, shake it out. Don't worry, no one is looking. Except your one year old. But she already thinks you are "loco."

So, that's about it. It cooks for um, like 10 minutes? I don't know. Until the veggies look soft but not mushy. Maybe 15 minutes if you're closer to Low than Medium. You'll know. Meanwhile, you throw the beans in a small sauce pan and let them warm up. Keep stirring or the bottom will burn. Trust me on that one. Once they're warm, turn the heat down to low and they'll be ready to schmear on your tortilla.

Then, toppings!

Chopped Tomatoes
Chopped Lettuce
Salsa
Cheese
Greek Yogurt (think of it like sour cream with live and active cultures)

I'm sure you already know this but the perfect fajitas is layered like so: tortilla, beans, pepper/onions, cheese, yogurt. This is why: beans act like glue and hold in the pepper/onions which are hot so they melt the cheese. Yogurt is top glue. Once you've rolled your fajitas into the burrito shape, you top with salsa. This might rock your world. Don't worry. That's normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment