Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Not Ever'body a Diva, Kelly

The weather has been hot lately. Duh, it's summer. I know. But it has been REALLY hot. And we were all getting a little bit feverish (the cabin kind) so we headed out to the mall to do a few laps in the AC. It was refreshing, in many ways.

We took in the latest fashions mostly from the storefronts. We also took in way too much cologne courtesy of Hollister. (Where is the market research that says if you gag passerby's they will be sure to enter in order to further smother their olfactory sense? Ugh.) But we did go into Old Navy because we had a Groupon that was going to expire relatively soon.

We'd gone before to Old Navy and I just couldn't find anything I wanted. I've turned into that mom that would rather buy adorable clothes for my baby than try anything on myself. While that is noble on some levels, it's rooted in the fact that my body has changed and I lack the desire to either whip it back into shape or accommodate the changes.

Sigh.

But I needed jeans. It was unavoidable. And though I had passed on them saying I didn't like any of the styles, Scott thoughtfully went over to the jeans department and found a pair, that I could not deny, met all my qualifications. So, I was headed to the fitting room. There, I met Deena.

Deena was a fabulous lady. She fawned over Maeve (who doesn't?). She chatted up Scott while I tried the jeans on. And she gave her very honest opinion when I came out. And came out. And came out. In all, I was in and out of the fitting rooms three times. And I don't mean the room itself. I went back to the floor and came back to the fitting rooms three times. By the third time, she saw me coming and said, "You're back again? I got you, Kelly. Here you go. First door on the right." So, when I came out in a pair of jeans, I had a very supportive ally ready to help, (in ADDITION to my wonderful husband).

Deena: "Oh, girl. Those look nice."
Me: "Thanks...but I'm not sure..."
Scott: "What don't you like?"
Me: "I don't know. They fit at the waist, and we can hem the length, but...I don't know"
Deena: "Are they the Diva cut? Or the Dreamer? I can't do the Skinny. Oh, my. Lord, no. No, skinny for me. But you look good in them Divas, girl. You know, not ever'body a diva, Kelly."

You can say that she was just trying to make a sale, but she doesn't get commission on a pair of jeans.

So, I did buy those jeans.

And I do look good in them. (No, I'm not posting a picture.)

Thanks, Deena! And thanks, Scott, for your shopping savvy and perseverance. I know I don't make it easy but I hope I look like a (low-maintenance) Diva on our next hot date!

No comments:

Post a Comment